A couple of years ago, I watched a news program that featured a segment on toxic chemicals found in the food we eat. It got me thinking about the makeup and body care products we use every day. It’s hard to imagine the FDA would allow us to be exposed!
Aren’t they supposed to police this kind of thing?
PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED!
Did you know the average woman puts 12 to 20 different chemicals on her skin each day? That adds up to 7,300 chemicals a year! Did you know that of these chemicals, 80% have NEVER been tested for safety? What’s more, we absorb up to 60% of what we put on our skin, and it only takes 26 seconds for these chemicals to enter our bloodstream!
The FDA isn’t doing their job! They’re obviously not looking out for you and me, and It’s up to us to protect ourselves and our families!
You’re probably wondering if any of these chemicals are in the product you use right now.
I’m betting they are. Below, I’ve listed the 10 most toxic ingredients in skincare today. Why not grab your products now and see if any of these are in the ingredients list.
1. Parabens (inexpensive preservatives) methylparaben and propylparaben-
- Plays a role in the development of certain types of breast cancers
- Is linked to malfunctions in the reproductive system
2. Imidazolidinyl Urea-
- Known to cause Contact Dermatitis
- Can additionally cause serious Gastrointestinal or liver problems
3. Triclosan / Chlorphenesin-
- Does not break down in the environment
- May contribute to bacterial resistance
4. EDTA and Tetrasodium EDTA-
- Does not biodegrade in the environment
- Robs the body of precious vitamins and minerals
- can cause skin sensitivity or rash for those with sensitive skin
- Causes a breakdown of Collagen
- Prevents the fight against Free Radicals
- promotes premature aging
6. FD&C Colorants-
- Linked to Hyperactivity
- Can lead to rashes and Asthma
7. Benzoyl Peroxide-
- Promotes the possibility of tumors
- Produces DNA damage
- Toxic while inhaled
- Can be damaging to the liver and kidneys
- Linked to birth defects, low sperm count
- Linked to premature breast development in both boys and girls
9. Sodium Polyacrylate and Carbomer-
- Can cause mild to severe skin irritation
- Irritates lungs if inhaled
10. Oxybenzone Octylmethoxycinnamate (found in sunscreens)
- Proven to show endocrine disruption
- Shown to have have hormone-mimicking effects
Pretty scary stuff, right?
And here’s the thing. You’ve probably noticed 8 of these ingredients have one thing in common.They’re almost impossible to pronounce! Safe to say if you can’t pronounce it, don’t use it!
Want some great news? You don’t have to spend a fortune on safe, natural skin and body care products. Please, don’t be fooled by a big brand name and fancy packaging. It’s all about the ingredients inside.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Do you have concerns about chemical ingredients? Tell me all about it in the comments below.